Flipkart - Search Bar

Thursday, February 02, 2017

Author Interview : Terry John Barto, author of ‘Nickerbacher’



Terry John Barto
Read up, Interview with Terry John Barto, author of 'Nickerbacher'. In this part of his Interview, he describes the journey of writing the book, how the three main characters came about, and what he thought the most challenging part of the book was, among others, Folks... 


How did 'Nickerbacher' happen? Could you describe the journey?

‘Nickerbacher’ was first written on an In & Out Burger bag. I was driving to Palm Springs and had this idea about belonging and fitting in. I pulled over and started writing the story.

At that time ‘Nickerbacher’ attended a group therapy class. It's evolved a lot since. After a long time, I met an editor and we worked on some other projects.

Then I remembered a story about a dragon with issues. We worked and re-worked it until it became a Picture Book. Then we re-invented it and expanded it to be a chapter book.

How did the story, especially Nickerbacher’s, Princess Gwendolyn’s and Prince Happenstance’s come about?

I wanted it to be a story about finding your way in life. And
fighting the odds of what was expected of you came to me, because in a way, it's what I did in my life.

In the picture book, the Prince wanted to be something different from the exceptions of being a prince. But that changed in the chapter book.

Whereas, the princess became more in charge and feisty. Also, her cause and fight for dragon rights turned out to be an interesting storyline. 

What according to you is different about your book?

There are a lot of stories about dragons but none who want to be a comedian. And he goes the extra mile by wanting equal rights for all citizens. He makes a difference and Nickerbacher's performance paves the way for a brighter future.

How would you relate the lives of characters to the lives today? Any similarities?

Interestingly, it falls in line with a lot of the protests that are going on right now.

What was the most challenging part about writing this book?

In a way the Picture Book version was more of a challenge, because I had to tell an interesting, far reaching story in less than 1,000 words. But the challenge for the Chapter Book was to let go things in the first version and be open to a whole new approach.

Who was it that told you that you could become the author, you are today?

My editor has encouraged me to keep going and not give up, even in bleakest of times. But before all that, an actress that I was directing (I did stage before) thought I had good story telling abilities and hired me to be a creative director of an animation company, she was starting.

So, that started me in a direction I never thought of.

When will you next book be out?

Not sure, still just in promo mode for Nickerbacher.

William Shakespeare
Which book are you currently reading?

William Shakespeare. A long-time friend just gave me the complete set from a 1901 collection.

Who are your favourite authors and why?
 
I love the magical elements in the Harry Potter series. So I'd say, JK Rowling.

What else do you do on a daily basis?

I walk my dogs by the water. I really enjoy going to Yoga.



 You can  Read the Review, too and Buy the Book, here as well.


https://ssl.gstatic.com/ui/v1/icons/mail/images/cleardot.gif

No comments: