Flipkart - Search Bar

Thursday, May 19, 2016

Author Interview : Utkarsh Patel, author of ‘Shakuntala : The Woman Wronged' (Part 2)'



Read up, the second part of Utkarsh Patel's Interview, with regard to 'Shakuntala : The Woman Wronged' (Part 2)'. In this he tells us, whether the storyline or characters took more precedence, what the most challenging part of writing the book was, how he came up with the concepts and developed them and also gives us information on the next book, he has planned. He also tells us what he's reading currently, among others, Folks...

Between your storyline and your characters, which takes precedence?

Both. For me, the characters make the story and building the characters personality as the story moves is important. 

In this book of mine, my central character grows with her friends and the storyline ensures that this is depicted throughout the story.  

What was the most challenging part of writing this book?

How much is enough! One tends to get carried away on a topic, which is very dear or important to one’s heart. How much is enough on that subject is a tough decision to make. 

The author might be very passionate about something and might and to write a lot more on something, but the reader might not emote with him on the same. So, how much is enough on a subject is quite challenging. 

How do you come up with the concepts and develop them?

Utkarsh Patel
Well, I go with the flow. While, I do have a basic storyline thought through at the inception, many things are acquired or imagined on the flow of the narrative. 

Can’t say that everything that has gone in my book was pre-decided.  

Who was it that told you that you could become the author, you are today?

Well, this has to be my wife! When I first discussed the Shakuntala storyline, it was her idea to see if I could write a novel. Till then, all I had written were articles for my Blog (www.utkarshspeak.blogspot.in), which were quite well received. 

But then, they were articles and I wasn’t sure if a novel was my cup of tea, till I was asked to give it a shot, and sure enough it did turn out to be a novel!  

What book is coming from your desk, next? 

Presently, I am working on a novel form of a lesser-known Tamil epic. 

This too is a woman-centric novel. Should be out in about a year or so. 

Your advice to writers that would like to be published today? How tough is it to be published in India? 

One should write and try and get published. One should not be deterred by rejections, as many a times they get rejected because the publisher is unsure of its marketability, not because of its literary merit.

Also, be open to criticism, as they will only strengthen ones writing. It also gives an alternate view-point by a third person, who could take a dispassionate view to it, unlike we who have written it.

I don’t think it’s very tough to get anything published today, as there are so many avenues of getting published. Besides the traditional publishers, we now have self-publishing, etc., which will enable anybody to get their work published. 

Just write! 

Who are your favourite authors and why?

Ayn Rand
At present, I read a lot of academic mythology, which aids me in my research for books and lectures and speaking engagements.

However, at one point of time, I used to read a lot of different authors, with Ayn Rand and Irving Stone, being my favourites. Ayn Rand was an ideological favourite and Irving Stone was a marvellous writer of biographies, which told the life story so beautifully.

Which book are you currently reading? 

Presently, I am reading the English translation of Sanskrit plays by Bhasa.   

What do you do on a day to day basis, besides writing stories?

I read, write and speak, when I am not writing stories!
  
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Social Media links of Utkarsh Patel for readers to find/follow/like:
Website   www.utkarshmp.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Shakuntala-The-Woman-Wronged-703922499751102/
Twitter    @utkarshmp
Blog        www.utkarshspeak.blogspot.in
Email:       utkarshmp@yahoo.com
 
 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can Read the Review, and the First Part of this Interview right here, and Buy the Book here, as well.

No comments: