Flipkart - Search Bar

Friday, November 06, 2015

Alice's and CS Lewis's Rabbit sure 'Got my Goat'! :)



Alice and the Various Characters from AIW

This is a wow month for children’s authors. CS Lewis, who wrote ‘Alice in Wonderland’ was born in January.

Of course, there are a few other authors but I picked my favourites at that age. I have really enjoyed reading about ‘Alice and her Wonderland’. It probably helps because Alice was a lot like me. She was lying down in the grass having a ‘story book’ read out to her, she was also very curious and best of all, she followed a rabbit.

I do not know the number of times; I had hoped a similar thing would happen to me too. Of course, I did not have Alice’s sister but I had Naidu, my personal storyteller, who would come every day, around the afternoon time, when my mum would be expecting me to have a nap. I also had the rabbit, which would keep running off and disappearing and oh boy, was I curious! 

White Rabbit
But nothing as fancy as what happened to Alice happened in my house… but still, the book picked my curiosity and took me off to my own wonderland. I am still looking to get out of it! 

Anyway, to the story… As Alice was lying down in the garden, and drowsily listening to a story, that did not pick her curiosity, thanks to the lack of pictures. This was when a well-dressed rabbit, comes up to her and Alice, curious that she was, follows the rabbit into a rabbit hole. 

Here, Alice falls into the hole, where she discovers, a mouse, a dodo (my favourite curse word, when I was on college, hmm… the explain it), including a cat, a lizard, and an advice handing out caterpillar. Alice keeps seeing these eatables and drinkables, which say, ‘eat me’ and ‘drink me’, which she follows, allowing her to go through the hole.

She meets a frog, who is a footman, a Cheshire cat, a Duchess, a baby and a hare! She also meets the King and the Queen, who keeps yelling ‘Off with her head!’. Alice gets caught in all the mess, which she bravely tides over. 

Queen of Hearts
It was an exciting story, and kind of has a way, which picks at your curiosity. It is not only funny, especially the queen’s tarts and the dodo. Also, do not forget the Mad - Tea Party, which is not just about food and drink. And, of course there is the little poem, by the Mad Hatter, titled ‘Twinkle, Twinkle Little Bat’! That’s not all, most characters, end up giving Alice many riddles and stories, through the book.

CS Lewis
How she gets in and out of the whole thing, how she manages to get through all her adventures and get out, after great difficulty forms the adventurous end. The book has numerous cartoons and movies, too.

‘Alice in Wonderland’, was written by Clive Staples Lewis, who was born on 27th January 1832. He had written books such as ‘The Screwtape Letters’, ‘The Chronicles of Narnia’ and ‘The Space Trilogy’. 

No comments: