Flipkart - Search Bar

Friday, October 24, 2014

Authors @ IIMs?



Okay, I have noticed quite a few students from IIMs turn to writing, since Chetan Bhagat. So, what should I think of these writers? This would only be my thought process at work so, shall we begin? Oh, I might miss a lot of people too, but this one only has authors, I have read. 

Let me begin with Chetan Bhagat. I do not like any of his books, besides the
Chetan Bhagat
first one, ‘Five Point Someone’. I could go on about spellings and grammatical errors, but thankfully his writing is pretty free of those. It just came out at a good time, because I had just finished college and I was looking for a book to read. I liked the book as it was simple and funny in parts. It had its darker shades as well, but everyone wants that. (Actually, liked its movie version, ‘3 Idiots’ a lot more)

I did not like any of his writing after that. So then, I read three books of his, ‘One Night @ The Call Centre’, ‘The 3 Mistakes of My Life’ but I was sorely disappointed. But the movie, ‘Kai Po Che!’ was a good one. ‘2 States : The Story of My Marriage’ was alright, but the movie was better. I have given up after that one. I have a problem with the way his stories flow, actually I do not think they flow at all. So, well. 

Amish Tripathi started off with ‘The Immortals of Meluha’, which I thought was excellent. It managed to capture and keep my head on mythology. It managed to twist the story, and ran at an excellent pace. I cannot say the same about his next two, ‘The Secret of the Nagas’ and ‘The Oath of the
Amish Tripathi's 'The Immortals of Meluha'
Vayuputras
’. I was a little disappointed with both, as they managed to, for lack of a better word, bore me. But, still there is always hope and so, I am looking forward to his next one. Hopefully, it will have the same twists and pace as his first book.


Karan Bajaj wrote ‘Keep off the Grass’, which I thought was alright. I really do not have an opinion of this book. Then came, Sidin Vadukut and his book, ‘The Incredible Adventures of Robin ‘Einstein’ Varghese'. I do not have anything to say about this, except that it made me feel like I wasted money.

I am sure there are a lot of authors from IIM, nowadays, but I don’t think I have read all of them. But fortunately or unfortunately, I had some good books and some bad books. So, basically I can say this, Chetan Bhagat’s stories twisted by screenwriters make for a good movie. I also heard that
Karan Johar
Amish Tripathi’s book would be made into a movie by Karan Johar. I hear Hollywood producers also have the rights too. I think somebody has movie rights to Karan Bajaj’s book too.

I have a feeling that this is going to end pretty badly for me. It is not every day, that one can criticise so many beings of excellent academic calibre. But, I can always hope that there are IIM authors, whom I have not read, who are good. And also, that some of the authors I have mentioned will churn out better books.



No comments: