Flipkart - Search Bar

Wednesday, July 02, 2014

Author Interview: Kenneth G Bennett, author of 'Exodus 2022'

'Exodus 2022' is a good book, well researched and well-written.  Giving us details on how it came about is the author, Kenneth G Bennett. He gives us info on how the story came out, and what he is doing about, Exodus 2022’s Part 2. 

Bennett also tells us how ‘On Writing’ helped him and how he would recommend it more than once, for writers to be. So, you can catch the review right here, and do read on for more, Folks…

The book was different in a lot of ways. When did the idea behind the story, first come to you? 

I was backpacking with my son in the Olympic Mountains of Washington State when the idea first started to percolate. I’d been reading about ecological catastrophe and then stumbled on some articles about animal intelligence and the surprising cognitive abilities of non-human species. 

The two topics came together to form the underlying concept of the book.


What all did you have to research when you did that and how were you influenced by the world around you?

I care deeply about environmental issues and am pretty attuned to news about climate change, species loss, and so on. That awareness definitely plays into the story.

I did a lot of reading and research on animal behaviour, military contractors, the FBI, the US Navy, sonar, weapons, and Pacific Rim geography as I was working on the book.

How have you developed the characters? Are they influenced by people you have met in real life or do they just come out of your head?

Since I write without an outline or detailed notes, the characters begin fairly “flat” and take on life and depth as the story develops.

How are you thinking of developing the rest of the story? When is the next part due?

I’m still in the early phases of thinking about this. Writing a novel is so time consuming and difficult (at least, for me) that I find I need to have a central concept or idea that I’m absolutely in love with before I start writing.

That passion keeps me going throughout the process and I don’t quite have that yet for EXODUS 2022, Part 2. I’ll get there, but I’m not there yet.

How much of your real life is in the book?

I love spending time outdoors, I attend a progressive, liberal Episcopal church, and I live in the Northwest. Those are things I share with the story.
 
What else do you write, besides the novels?

Advertising and marketing copy. I’ve worked as an advertising writer and creative director for the last 20 years.

Which book are you currently reading?

Just started SHIFT, the sequel to WOOL, by Hugh Howey. He’s a brilliant writer and I’m looking forward to the movie, to be directed by Ridley Scott.

Who are your favourite authors and why?
 

I admire their craftsmanship and storytelling abilities.

What else do you do on a day to day basis?

I’m an advertising copywriter, Dad, Husband, Dog Owner, Outdoorsman, and a mediocre backcountry skier.

What advice do you have for the newer writers of today?

Read Stephen King’s 'On Writing' three or four times. Read as much fiction as you possibly can and try to write for a set period of time every day. 

Write what you are passionate about as opposed to what you think will sell. 

Come up with a killer idea—something your totally in love with, and go for it.


No comments: